Monday, August 1, 2011

Fresh-picked raspberry frozen yogurt

While visiting my college roommate in Portland, Oregon last weekend, we took a trip to Sauvie Island, just about 20 miles outside the city, to pick some berries. The island is covered with farms and most of them had lots of berries ripe for the picking.

We picked boysenberries, blueberries, and raspberries. Raspberries are definitely my favorite, so I picked 5 pints of those. The hard work was worth it. They were sweet and juicy and I couldn’t wait to make something with them. I knew that I wanted to freeze a lot of the raspberries, so after eating quite a few, I froze all but one pint (see instructions below for freezing berries).

With my one pint, I decided to make frozen yogurt. It was something I had never made before, and I was looking for a healthier dessert that didn’t require much time or effort. I looked at a lot of recipes and some are so complicated and require so many ingredients. I decided to keep it simple. No cooking the berries because I wanted their fresh flavor, no milk or other strange ingredients, and a dash of vanilla and a pinch of salt to round out the flavor.

This is the recipe I ended up with. It only makes about 2 cups, so it may need to be doubled or tripled depending on how many people want to partake. I was so surprised at how it had such a smooth texture and incredible flavor. I hope you try it!

Raspberry Frozen Yogurt

Yield: About 2 cups
1 pint raspberries (that’s 2 cups for all you non-math people)
1 ½ cups lowfat plain yogurt (I used Nancy's)
¼ - ½ cup sugar
¼ teaspoon vanilla
Pinch salt




 In a food processor or blender, puree raspberries, sugar, vanilla and salt. Taste for sweetness. If desired, add more sugar. (I started out with ¼ cup and added a bit more to make about 1/3 cup). Strain mixture to remove seeds, if desired. Put raspberry mixture back into food processor, add yogurt, and puree thoroughly.






Pour into ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions. Eat immediately, or freeze for at least 1 hour before serving.


To freeze leftover berries:
To freeze berries, arrange them in one layer on a sheet pan. Freeze until berries are solid, then transfer to a freezer bag or container.






No comments: