Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Don't buy canned beans

A few years ago I discovered dried beans. I always knew they existed, but had never realized how cheap and easy they were to prepare. Not only are they economical, but they also have a much better flavor and texture than canned beans. And an additional perk is that by soaking the beans and pouring off the soaking liquid, most of the gas-causing culprits are removed, so they’re much easier to digest. So no more “beans, beans, the magical fruit, the more you eat, the more you …”!

I soaked pinto beans in the morning, cooked them in the afternoon, used some in my dinner, and froze the rest.
For detailed instructions with great insights and pictures, click on the picture below to see the slideshow created by Serious Eats (a great online resource for recipes, an eating out guide, and food news).
Slideshow

Here are the basics:
I started with one bag of pinto beans.
Pick through the beans to remove anything that doesn’t look right. Soak the beans overnight or at least 6 hours. Make sure there is enough water because they will absorb a lot.

Take out any beans that are floating. Pour out the water.
Add the beans to a big pot, then add enough water to cover the beans by an inch or two. Add herbs (I used rosemary, sage, and oregano because that’s what I happened to have).
Cook with lid partly over the pot over medium-low heat for 1-2 hours until soft. Stir occasionally and skim the foam off the top as it appears.After cooked, add salt. I used a slotted spoon to take some beans out to freeze.

To the rest, I added some cooked chicken I had, carrots, thyme, salt and pepper. I let it cook for a 10 minutes, then served over rice with a dollop of sour cream for dinner. A satisfying and simple-to-make meal!



   

No comments: