Thursday, August 18, 2011

An easy furniture update



My father-in-law’s job is one in which he occasionally has to dispose of perfectly good pieces of furniture. Instead of throwing them away, often times he gives them to us. This was one of those pieces. I knew it would be the perfect storage solution for our second bedroom (up to this point we’ve been storing things in boxes). It had shiny brass knobs and gold trim around the top, which just didn’t go with the décor in the room. I decided to paint the gold trim gray. It started out too light, so I mixed in some black and ended up with more of a charcoal color.

It took me at least a week to decide on knobs. There were two issues – I’m indecisive and knobs can be expensive. After buying seven different knobs at Home Depot and taking all of them back, I ended up getting some square oil-rubbed bronze knobs from Target. It was between these and some clear acrylic knobs. I wanted something dark to go with the dark trim and the other furniture in the room.
Before
Getting the old knobs off was actually very difficult. After using a drill, wrench, pliers, and a screwdriver, Reed managed to remove them. Even though not much labor went into recreating this piece, I think it was quite a transformation. If I could only make decisions more quickly, it would have been done a week ago!

After

No comments: