Thursday, July 14, 2011

Not your grandma's tuna casserole

I know most people wouldn’t call tuna casserole gourmet, but there’s something comforting about casseroles that makes everyone love them. Growing up, I remember eating tuna casserole often. It’s no wonder – it’s easy and quick to make. When I first got married, I wanted to make my husband this casserole that reminded me so much of my childhood. I had everything but the canned cream soup. I decided to make my own, and I think it made such a difference. I have been making it this way ever since.

To make this dinner a little fancier, I used crème brulee dishes that I had and made individual casseroles. That way, everyone gets their own section of crunchy cheese on top!
Tuna Casserole

Ingredients:
1 pound pasta (I used rotini, but any short noodle will work)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped (optional)
8 mushrooms, sliced (optional)
1 large clove garlic, minced
6T butter
¾ cup flour
1 ½ cups chicken stock
1 ½ cups milk
1-2 cans solid white tuna, drained (If you like it more tuna-y use 2)
3/4 cup peas (I used frozen)
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Salt and pepper

Bring a pot of very salty water to boil. Add pasta, stir and cook until al dente, about 10-15 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a large saucepan over medium heat, sauté the onions and celery in olive oil. After about 5 minutes, add the mushrooms, if using. Cook until onions and celery are soft and mushrooms are cooked through. Add about ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
I didn't have celery or mushrooms. It comes out great anyway!

Add the butter to the pan. Once melted, add the flour and stir until flour is absorbed. Cook about 3-4 minutes. The flour will coat the vegetables, which is ok.
Add the milk, chicken stock, and 1 teaspoon salt. Cook over medium to medium-high heat until thickened. This may take a few minutes depending on your stove. Stir occasionally with a whisk. Taste it and add more salt and pepper if you'd like.
I used homemade chicken stock that I froze in an ice cube tray.

Once thickened, add the tuna, then the peas. Cook over low heat until peas are thawed.
Add half the cheddar cheese and stir.
Drain the noodles and add them to the pan. Stir until well combined.

Pour into casserole dish or individual dishes. Top with remaining cheddar cheese. Cook in a 350 degree oven for about 15-20 minutes or until bubbly. If the cheese isn’t brown enough, broil for a few minutes at the end. Top with chopped parsley if you have it!

No comments: