Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Breakfast leftovers become chef salad

What to do with bacon, eggs, cheese and 88 cent lettuce I found at the market? Chef salad, of course! It is our go-to summertime dinner. Since we always have carrots and usually have lettuce, it is an easy weeknight dinner. The key is to make your own ranch dressing… from a packet.  It is one of the only times I prefer a packet. I have tried making ranch dressing from scratch, but I think the Uncle Dan’s Classic Ranch packet is better (and so much easier)! You just mix it with buttermilk (milk works too) and mayonnaise, whisk, and you’re done. Add whatever veggies you like to your salad. I think tomatoes and cucumbers would be delicious. If you don’t have bacon, turkey and ham are traditional and would be tasty as well. Be creative!

Chef Salad
Lettuce, chopped (I used red and green leaf)
Hard boiled eggs (instructions follow)
Bacon, cooked and diced
Cheddar cheese, shredded
Carrots (use a peeler and keep peeling on the same side of the carrot to form long ribbons)
Ranch dressing (I use Uncle Dan’s Classic Ranch packet)

Hard boiled eggs
This is a common recipe I have seen in various cookbooks. I have never had a problem making hard boiled eggs using this method.

Put eggs in a medium pot, cover with cold water, and cook uncovered over high heat until water comes to a boil. Turn off the heat, cover the pot, and set the timer for 15 minutes. At the end of 15 minutes, run cold water over the eggs until they’re cool. Peel, and they’re ready to eat.

No comments: