Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Easy ink and watercolor greeting cards

I picked up watercolor painting a few years ago because I discovered it was something someone like me without an art background could do pretty easily. I liked the watercolor pictures I had seen that had a black ink outline with the colors filled in. I think they remind me of coloring books. I picked up an inexpensive set of watercolors at a craft store, and began watercoloring. I found that doing anything large scale required more skill and the right kind of paper. So I found some plain white cards I had and decided to make some thank you cards. I drew a picture using a permanent marker, then started filling it in with the paint.

If the paper gets too wet, blot with a paper towel.

I found that it looks best when it’s not too perfect. A little coloring outside the lines is ok.
Coming up with the ideas of what to draw is sometimes difficult for me. I have an idea in my head, but actually drawing it is not as easy as I first thought. Occsasionally, I’ll copy a picture I see online or in a book. You can print out a picture that you like and trace it if you’re really artistically challenged. Not only is making cards fun and unique, but it also saves money! I have given a stack of 8-10 of these as gifts and people love them. Give it a try!


No comments: