Friday, December 23, 2011

DIY Indoor Christmas Wreaths

While reading the December issue of Martha Stewart Living, I saw a picture of five homemade wreaths made of greenery and red ribbon hanging inside in a window. I thought this would be the perfect solution for my wall of mirrors in the dining room. I had some twiggy garland that I hadn’t used for any decorations and decided to cut it up into five pieces to form my wreaths. I used rubber bands to make each piece of garland into a circle. They were all a little bit different sizes, which I wanted. I didn't want it to look too perfect.




















Following Martha’s instructions (although she used embroidery hoops as her base), I used a hot glue gun to glue cedar branches that I had collected from my parents’ house onto the wreath. Using a hot glue gun turned out to work very well and it was so easy. Each wreath took about 5-10 minutes and cost me nothing, as I had all the supplies already! I had red velvet ribbon that I knew would be perfect for hanging the wreaths. I cut the ribbon to the desired lengths (this took some adjusting, as the first time it looked too symmetric). Then, I nailed the ribbon at the top in the corner where the wall meets the ceiling with small wire nails.

I love how the mirrored wall is no longer the focus, but instead the natural, beautiful wreaths are. I just need to think of a way to use this idea for other times of year…

No comments: