Sunday, September 25, 2011

More stripes… and more blue and white… do I have a problem?

When I was at the fabric store choosing fabric to recover my chairs (see the details: http://anytimegourmet.blogspot.com/2011/07/no-more-eating-dinner-on-couch.html), I found this Nautica blue and white striped fabric on clearance for only $6/yard. I thought it would go well with the blue and white print for my chairs and I could use it in some way in the living room or dining room. I wanted to make a valance-type window treatment to cover up the ugly aluminum blinds when they’re not in use. I decided it needed to be simple and didn’t want window hardware that would be too big or gaudy.

I saw Ikea’s curtain wire hardware at my friend’s house – she had made something similar to what I wanted to make. The hardware is very simple and easy to adjust to most window sizes. Not only that, but I could also buy an extra piece to make the wire turn the slight corner we have in our dining room. Check out the hardware at http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60075295.  
After having the fabric for 2 months and the curtain hardware for a few weeks, I finally got around to sewing the valances! I kept it very simple and just made a 15-inch high rectangle. The fabric was very thick so it didn’t need any lining. Something that should be very obvious, especially to a math teacher, made the sewing take much longer than it should have – I sewed the top seam (where the wire would pass through) before the sides, which closed the openings I had created for the wire! I had to redo the first panel, but at least I didn’t make that mistake again.

Here’s the sewing order that worked best: sew the bottom seam, then the sides, and finally the top seam. Because the wire is much thinner than a normal curtain rod would be, I had only a 5/8” seam on the top. Depending on the size of your curtain rod, you will need to adjust this.

Bottom corner
If I ignore the brass light fixture and mirrored wall, I think our dining room looks pretty great! I will try to stay away from blue and white for a while…

No comments: