Sunday, October 2, 2011

Flying off the plate


One of my best friends planned an airplane party for her son Zachary's 2nd birthday. Sidenote: she has an awesome blog: www.allboybycandacerae.com. I was in charge of making airplane cookies. How fun! I have a great sugar cookie and icing recipe that I used for my nephew’s birthday (for recipes, see http://anytimegourmet.blogspot.com/2011/07/boy-turns-one.html ), so all I had to do was design how I wanted the airplane to look.

Such cute invitations too!

I made a batch of the sugar cookie icing and left half of it plain so that it would look like a natural white color. This was the first layer on the cookies. I split the other half in half again and added red to one bowl and blue to another. I used the Wilton icing colors to make the red and blue really vibrant.


I didn’t have any piping bags, so I tried using small Ziploc bags to “pipe” the windows and stripes on the plane, but that didn’t work very well. The icing is a little bit runny, which is what makes it dry so smooth and shiny, but that also makes it difficult to pipe. I used toothpicks to create the design and although it took a little bit longer than I would like, they turned out great.


Zachary (and all of us) had a great time at his party, and the cookies were gone before the day was over!

The photo booth was also a big hit!
My hubby and I looking so serious at the airplane-themed photo booth

No comments: