Sunday, September 11, 2011

French toast in the waffle maker

I love French toast and I love waffles, so why not combine the two! I had seen this years ago in a magazine and always wanted to try it, so I finally gave it a go. I made french toast as I would ordinarily – soak the bread in a mixture of eggs, milk, vanilla, a pinch of cinnamon, and a pinch of salt – and cooked it in my waffle maker. It turned out fantastically and gave the french toast such a delicious crust.  The only thing I would do differently next time is to use white bread rather than wheat. Thick slices of good white bread make the best french toast.



French toast waffles (makes 4 pieces)
4 thick slices white bread
4 eggs
Splash of milk (about ¼ cup)
½ teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
Dash cinnamon (about 1/8 tsp)
Pinch salt

In flat-bottomed dish, whisk eggs, milk, vanilla (or almond extract), cinnamon and salt. Soak bread for 30 seconds or so on each side until very moist. Gently shake off extra egg mixture before placing bread into waffle maker. Cook according to your waffle maker – it takes about as long as a waffle. Serve hot.









No comments: