Sunday, November 11, 2012

Weeknight bacon-wrapped chicken


We rarely have boneless skinless chicken breasts in our house because they usually end up dry and flavorless when you cook them. I prefer the chicken tenders because they're still white meat but stay really moist. However, these boring but healthy pieces of chicken ended up in my fridge after my brave attempt to piece out a whole chicken. I used the dark meat parts to make a chicken butternut squash stew and the white meat I decided to save for another use. I was trying to think about how to add flavor and moisture without adding dairy. Hmmm... what is flavorful, fatty, and amazing. I know you're all thinking what I'm thinking...bacon! We just discovered that we love the Farmland thick cut bacon (thanks to the grocery store for having it on sale for the last few weeks). I had a few pieces left and knew it would be a match made in heaven. We also happened to have some thyme, which goes great with chicken.

I searched around online for some ideas of how to cook both the bacon and the chicken without overcooking either, and I got this idea from a recipe I found at Food and Wine. Theirs is a little more fancy, using the chicken liver and all, but I wanted to come up with something that is quick enough and simple enough to make on a weeknight.

This recipe has only 3 ingredients (not including salt and pepper)... I should send it to Claire Robinson! The chicken is moist, the bacon adds the much needed salt and fat, and the thyme adds the flavor. I will definitely make this again if I have chicken breasts laying around at some point.

Bacon-Wrapped Chicken
(adapted from Food and Wine)

Serves 4

2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts, each one cut in half
2-4 thyme sprigs
8 slices of thick cut bacon (I like Farmland)
Salt and pepper

Preheat the oven to 400°. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Remove the thyme leaves from the sprig. Place a small amound on each chicken half-breast. Wrap each piece of chicken in 2 slices of bacon; secure the bacon with toothpicks.

Heat a large, ovenproof skillet. Add the chicken and cook over moderately high heat until the bacon is browned, 5 minutes. Turn the chicken, cook for about a minute on the stove, then place the entire pan in the oven. Roast in the oven for 10-12 minutes, or until cooked through (internal temp of 180°). Remove the pan from the oven and spoon the bacon grease over the chicken a few times. Cover with foil and let rest for 5 minutes.

Remove the toothpicks and serve. It's delicious with roasted potatoes or sweet potates and a green salad or cooked green veg.






No comments: