Thursday, December 13, 2012

The smell of bread baking: Soft Dinner Rolls

As promised, here is a recipe for rolls - I know in my post A Steamy Bowl of Soup I said they would be whole wheat. Well...I like these better and figured you could try these at Taste of Home if you want some pretty easy and good wheat rolls.

Mine are just plain old white rolls. Soft, tender, and delicious white rolls that are amazing warm from the oven with butter but are also good the next couple days with eggs in the morning or for a little sandwich.

I have another dinner roll recipe I want to share in the future. The recipe for Pops' Rolls, as we now call them, was passed down from my Grandpa "Pops" to my mom, who has made them every year and Thanksgiving and Christmas time. They remind me of the holidays and family and are very good as well. This one I'm sharing right now is faster and an everyday roll recipe (although that would be dangerous to have these around every day).

These rolls are perfect for a weeknight because they can be done in a little over an hour if you need them to be. If I'm having leftovers or soup for dinner, I like making these to go along with it. Something about fresh baked bread is just wonderful - and it makes the house smell amazing. My husband walked in the other evening, smelled the rolls baking, and thought we were having pizza. I wish...these are almost as good.

I got this recipe originally from King Arthur Flour. They have lots of good tested and reviewed recipes and everything I've tried from their site is pretty good. The original recipe is for 24 rolls, which is way to much for me, so I've scaled it down so it makes 9 (well, the picture shows 8 - I had to try them first). These are best served warm with butter, but reheat well if you need to.

Soft Dinner Rolls

3 Tbl lukewarm water
2/3 cup warm milk ( 100 - 110°F)
1 Tbl butter
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
2 1/2 tsp yeast, instant preferred
2 to 2 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour


Combine the water, milk, butter, sugar, salt and yeast in a large bowl, or the bowl of your stand mixer. Stir well and let sit for 6 to 8 minutes, or until you see the yeast begin to foam. Add 1 1/2 cups of flour and mix by hand or with the paddle attachment until the dough forms a rough, shaggy mass. The dough will not form a ball at this point, but will be just shy of coming together.
 
Add flour, 1/4 cup at a time and blend with the dough hook until a smooth ball begins to form. Knead by hand for about 10 minutes, or by machine for 4 to 5 minutes until a soft, smooth ball of dough is formed. The dough should feel elastic and slightly tacky to the touch.
 
Lightly spray your work bowl with cooking spray and place the dough in the bowl. Spritz the top of the dough with spray as well and cover lightly with plastic wrap or a shower cap. Let rise for 20 minutes at room temperature or until the dough is full and puffy. Gently deflate the dough, and if you have time, let rise again for about another 20 minutes. If not, move on to the next step.
 
Gently deflate the dough and divide into three equal pieces. Divide each of those pieces into 3 pieces, to make a total of 9 pieces of dough. Shape into round balls by pulling and tucking underneath to leave the top smooth.
 
You can place the rolls into either a 9" square or round baking pan, well greased or lined with parchment paper. After the rolls are in the pan, cover again with your plastic wrap and let rise at room temperature for another 20 to 25 minutes, or until well rounded and full looking. If you are baking now, preheat the oven to 350°F. Bake the rolls for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and an internal thermometer reads 190°F. You can brush the baked rolls with melted butter if desired. Serve warm, store leftovers in a plastic bag for up to 3 days.
 
I've never tried freezing them, but according to King Arthur Flour, if you want to freeze the unbaked buns, place in the pans as described in step 6 and allow to rise for 10 minutes. Wrap airtight and freeze for up to 4 weeks. To bake, thaw overnight in the fridge, then unwrap and bake as directed.




Some of the equipment I used:

No comments: