Monday, October 22, 2012

A Steamy Bowl of Soup

(Not steamy in that way... steamy as in so hot it's almost boiling and would burn most people's mouths. I guess steaming is a better word? Oh well, steamy is what came to mind.)

The weather is changing, the leaves are falling, and all I want to do is have a fire, eat some soup and a freshly-baked roll. Not just any soup. It has to be homemade, very hot, and preferably a day old. Soup always seems to get better after a day or two of sitting in the fridge. Here are some of my favorite soup recipes from around the web. I'll be posting a simple whole wheat roll recipe in the near future... check back soon!

Barefoot Contessa's Lentil Sausage Soup - I just made this with regular old lentils that you can buy at the grocery store and it turned out great! I'm sure using the French lentils she calls for would make it even better!

Photo courtesy: Quentin Bacon
























The Joy of Cooking's Split Pea Soup (as seen here by The Delicious Life) - a classic that is so comforting and easy to make, especially if you have a ham bone or bacon left over.


Photo courtesy: The Delicious Life (www.thedeliciouslife.com)




















Smitten Kitchen's French Onion Soup - cheap (besides the swiss cheese) and perfect when you have leftover bread and too many onions to use up.

Photo courtest: www.smittenkitchen.com



















Another delicious recipe I want to share soon is my father-in-law's clam chowder. Mmm... my mouth is watering just thinking about it.

Have a soup recipe to share? Email me at anytimegourmet@gmail.com




No comments: